Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Anticlimactic Turkey

Last year at this time, I was sitting in a dorm room in Ohio, anxiously awaiting the arrival of my mom who was coming to pick me up and take me home for Thanksgiving. It was going to be the first time I went home since the semester had begun at the end of August. I could barely sleep the night before. I was ecstatic. After weeks of being miserable, after daily video chats with my family, I was finally going home. I had been counting down to the day for 40+ days, and it was finally here. Last year I gained a whole new appreciation for the holiday season.
This year, I live ten minutes away from home. Instead of a four hour drive (including 2 hours on the Ohio turnpike) with my mom, I'll be throwing my stuff haphazardly in the car when my sister arrives after my last class, and driving down the basically 2 roads it takes to get home, where I just was only 4 days ago. As the title of this post tells you, this is anticlimactic. Last year, my excitement built with every day I took off my countdown. This year, it's no big deal. I was just home. I just saw my family last Saturday. I most of my friends every day because I go to school with them. So while I am certainly excited for a break from classes and homework, the overall effect just isn't what it was last year. And I'm a little disappointed about that. I miss the excitement.
I think the problem is I have been so jolly lately, that I am already at my usual holiday-induced level of joyfulness (if that makes any sense at all). I guess that means I will have to work extra hard to get even more exited! haha. The Christmas music I'm listening to right now is definitely helping.

I just want to wrap this post up by saying I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving! I hope you have a lot to be thankful for. I know I do.

1 comments:

Meagan said...

Nice post, Becky. I like how you used "jolly" to describe your overall mood - there's nothing like Christmas-esque adjectives to get you in the spirit. Have a fabulous Thanksgiving too! :)