Sunday, November 15, 2009

Oh, Susannah

This fall, I am performing in my first opera. It's Carlisle Floyd's Susannah. Having almost no knowledge of opera, I knew nothing about the show before I joined the chorus. I soon realized how amazing the show is. The music is beautiful (and some is kinda crazy), and so incredibly powerful. Being in this show has reminded me why I love music, and why I love being on stage. Even though the chorus is only in a couple scenes out of the two and a half hour opera, I love being a part of this production. Right now I'm sitting in the dressing room, and I will be sitting here for many more hours during today's eight hour rehearsal, but even so, I love it. This is what I have been missing. I have been spending my time in dressing rooms and backstage since my first dance recital when I was four. It's where I belong. Last year, I wasn't in any shows. All I did was go to class, and voice lessons, and the only time I was on stage was for choir concerts (which are great, don't get me wrong, but they're different). I didn't realize how much I missed performing until I finally got the chance to do it again. I have been reminded all over again why I chose to be a vocal performance major. Because I love being in shows. From the first rehearsal to the final curtain call, I love it. I live for being on stage. It's all I know. It's all I've ever done. I played basketball in middle school, but other than that, my life has been entirely consumed by various theatrical productions, from Raggedy Ann and Andy when I was eight to seven productions of The Nutcracker, I have dedicated my life to being on stage. And that's why I chose the major that I did. Because I love being on stage. But I don't just love being on stage, I love being involved in the entire process. I forgot what it felt like to be part of a team in such a unique way, but now that I remember that feeling, I'm going to be sure never to forget again.

0 comments: