Thursday, December 31, 2009

A Decade of Favorites

So, I wouldn't be a true blogger if I didn't write a post to commemorate some of my favorite things from this decade. So here goes. My favorite things of this decade, in no particular order (other than that in which I thought of them):

1) Being a teenager. Because who doesn't love teen angst? And goodness knows I had my fair share of it!

2) The OC. I just love it, there's really nothing else to say. You can read my other post to get my more in-depth feelings on the show.

muse, The OC, Rachel Bilson, Mischa Barton, Ben McKenzie, Adam Brody, Seth, Marissa, Summer, Ryan
3) Pixar. Though Pixar didn't begin in this decade, they made a lot of great movies in it, from Monster's Inc. to Up!. Hopefully this trend continues for decades to come!

muse, Pixar, Up!, Monster's Inc., Cars, WallE
4) Aéropostale. It was basically my favorite store from the age of 11 to the age of 14.


5) Children's Ballet Theatre. Though it was the source of much of my teenage angst (see number 1), it was also the source of six and a half years of performance experience and great memories.
muse, Children's Ballet Theatre, dance, ballet6) Jump5. My favorite musical group until I was about 14, and the first concert I ever attended.

muse, Jump5, Brandon, Leslie, Brittany, Libby, Chris
7) Relient K. Though technically formed in '98, the really gained success in this decade. They are still on of my all time favorite bands, and I hope they continue to create awesome music forever and eternity.

muse, Relient K, mmhmm, The Bird and the Bee Sides
8) Hilary Duff/Lizzie McGuire. I was a pretty huge fan.

muse, Hilary Duff, Lizzie McGuire
9) High school. Glad it happened. Glad it's over.

10) Middle school. Even when you're home schooled, it's still awkward.

11) Braces. It only took four years for my teeth to look as good as they do today!


12) Epic movies. From Pirates of the Carribean to Lord of the Rings, you can't deny that this was a great decade for great epic movies.

muse, Pirates of the Caribbean, Lord of the Rings
13) Avril Lavigne. Before she went all blonde and pink and got married. Great background music for my teen angst (see number 1).

muse, avril lavigne
14) Digital. Photos, videos, you name it. Feeding the flames of our instant-gratification culture.

15) Facebook/YouTube/the Internet. These things totally changed the way we live. Anything funny that happens on camera is an instant candidate for a YouTube hit. Any picture taken has to be reviewed by it's subjects (immediately after it's taken, thanks to number 14) and deemed worthy or unworthy for Facebook. And of course, my favorite: everyone knows you're not really dating someone until it's Facebook Official (I would not be a bit surprised if this term showed up in a dictionary in the near future).

16) The iPod. I think it would be safe to say this is one of the best products of the 2000s.
muse, iPod, iPod touch, Steve Jobs, Apple17) Children's/Young-Adult Fiction. From Ella Enchanted to Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants to Harry Potter, I read a lot of good books in the past ten years!

muse, Ella Enchanted, Harry Potter, Deathly Hallows, Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants
18) Reality TV. I can't believe I almost forgot this decade's greatest gift to mankind: the reality television show. From American Idol to Survivor to all those "reality" shows on MTV, I think we can all agree this is a defining product of the past ten years.

19) Tom Izzo and the MSU Men's Basketball Team. They're awesome. Period. Even Sports Illustrated acknowledged this fact.

muse, Tom Izzo, Spartan Basketball, Michigan State Basketball
20) Top 40 Hits. If you know me, you know how anti-Top 40 I am. But sometimes, you just can't help yourself. And this decade has been full of some great chart-topping hits. Or if not great, at least songs that you just can't get out of your head no matter how hard you try. From Usher's "U Got it Bad" in 2001 to Beyoncé's "Single Ladies (Put a Ring On It)" (my personal anthem), we certainly have a decade full of hits that we can look at ten more years from now and reminisce about.

So there it is. I'm sure as soon as I post this, I will think of a million other things, but I'm satisfied with this list of 20. Leave a comment with you're favorite memories/products/musicians/movies/etc. from the past 10 years!

muse, Beckster, BBBeckster, Becky Schmid


0 comments: