Wednesday, February 24, 2010

An Awesome Thing: A Good Haircut

Inspired by the blog 1000 Awesome Things (which I have mentioned before), I just had to write an entry about something I am way too excited about: my new haircut. BEWARE: This entry was written after midnight, meaning that I cannot account for what late-night giddiness and/or half-asleep-ness may be fanning the flames of my already extremely vain feelings about my hair.

About a week ago, I got approximately 6.5 inches of hair cut off. For me, that is a pretty significant amount. Not only have I had relatively long hair for a good 4ish years, when I did get it trimmed, it was usually just that - a trim, an inch or two off, just to make the ends look nice again.

muse: be absorbed in thought, haircut, before after
Now, I know how vain/shallow/conceited this will make me sound, but for a long time, I was very attached to my long hair. I'm not kidding you when I say it took about a week of mental preparation leading to what I like to call "The Big Chop." Yes, I realize that some people, usually participating in Locks of Love or a similar program, will get 10+ inches cut off at a time, but for me, over 6 was a pretty big deal.

All this to say, I could not be happier with the result of my hair cut! A week later, and I am still excited about it (that's how you know it's good). After having to manage that long, thick, wavy mane of mine for so long, it is so freeing to have half as much hair. Anyone out there who has had a good haircut knows what I'm talking about. It's easier to style, it looks good, it feels good – I know you know.

For those of you out there who have not yet experienced the pure bliss of the perfect haircut, have faith. One day, when you least expect it, you will walk out of the salon feeling like a changed person, and at that moment, you'll just know. Until then...well, I'm not really sure what to tell you to do, I just felt the need to say until then.

I apologize for this post. I'll try not to write blog posts at such late hours in the future. I can't make any promises though.


0 comments: