Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Google Overload?

Thanks to the fact that I follow TIME on twitter,
I came across this video:




I admit, I was really excited about Google Wave when I first heard about it. I watched the demo video, and thought, "This is awesome! Wave looks so useful! Look at all the cool stuff you can do with it!" Upon finally receiving an invite and setting up my account, however, I quickly realized I had absolutely no idea what I was going to use it for. Now, my "super exclusive," invite only Wave account has gone unused for the past 3 or 4 months (however long it's been).

Now, don't get me wrong, Google has created some pretty useful tools. I love how easy it is to keep track of all my favorite blogs using Google Reader. I'm currently working on overhauling my current e-mail system and forwarding it all into my new Gmail account. But I have to agree with this video that, while I appreciate Google's attempt to be everything to everyone, they've gotten a little out of control.

What do you think? Have you tried/found use for any of Google's newest creations? Let me know! Because as much as I love being on the cutting-edge of these things, there comes a point when is enough. We can only handle so many ways to communicate/stay in contact with people before we totally go crazy. It just makes me think if that scene in He's Just Not That Into You when Drew Barrymore is talking about leaving a voicemail on a guys phone, which he responded to with a text, which she responded to with an e-mail, etc. (that's not the exact order of events, but you get the idea). Thanks to Google , there are now three or four more modes of communication we can use.


0 comments: