Thursday, February 25, 2010

Blog Featurette: I Wrote This For You

I have yet another blog to share with you! I seem to be on some sort of blog-promoting kick.

This one is called I Wrote This For You. Basically, what it is, is that every day a story is posted with a picture. The stories are short, many times only a couple sentences, and they are always very general, using the pronouns me and you. This allows readers to place themselves in the center of the story. Iain Thomas, co-creator and author of I Wrote This For You says that "There’s no story [he] can tell you that is as powerful as the story you can tell yourself." This means that, by making the stories vague, people are able to fill in their own experiences and make the story apply to them.
Iain also explains why the stories are so short: “The point of a story is, more often than not, a single sentence. I try to write that sentence.” In each entry for I Wrote This For You, Iain tries to explain a single human experience or emotion as concisely as possible. In doing so, he achieves everything from power, to truth, to poetry. What Tyler Knott did for love stories with his haiku, Iain Thomas has done for just about every other life situation with his words.

If you like poetry, profound quotes about life, or reading statements that really hit home, I suggest checking out I Wrote This For You. If you're not into that stuff...well, I still suggest checking it out. It's a pretty interesting concept, and the stories are short, so it wouldn't even take you a minute to read a couple. I'm really into this kind of stuff (and by "this kind of stuff," I guess I mean profound, "deep" stuff), but maybe I'm the only one. If you do check it out, leave a comment and let me know your thoughts! I love hearing other people's opinions on things.


0 comments: